Funfetti cake is often associated with celebrations and fun events like birthdays, which makes it a popular choice for parties and special occasions. The colorful sprinkles that are mixed into the cake batter add a fun and festive touch that appeals to many people.
If you’re a fan of colorful and fun cakes, then you’ll love this recipe for homemade funfetti cake. Made from scratch, this cake is moist, fluffy, and loaded with sprinkles that add a burst of color and flavor. In this post, we’ll show you how to make funfetti cake from scratch so that you can enjoy this delicious treat any time.
Why is Funfetti Cake Popular
Many people have fond childhood memories of Funfetti cake, and the nostalgia factor can play a big role in its popularity. For some, eating a slice of Funfetti cake can bring back happy memories of childhood birthdays or other special occasions.
Funfetti cake can be customized and adapted in many different ways, making it a versatile choice for bakers and cake decorators. The basic recipe can be modified with different frosting flavors, colors, and decorations to suit different tastes and occasions.
Ingredients for Homemade Funfetti Cake
- 2 and 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 and 1/2 cups granulated sugar
- 3/4 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 3 large eggs
- 1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 cup milk
- 1/2 cup rainbow sprinkles
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Preheat your oven to 350°F (175°C). Grease two 9-inch cake pans and set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, cream together the butter and sugar until light and fluffy. This should take around 3-4 minutes using a stand mixer or a hand-held electric mixer.
- Add the eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition. Add the vanilla extract and mix well.
- In a separate bowl, sift together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
- Gradually add the dry ingredients to the creamed mixture, alternating with the milk, and mixing well after each addition. Stir in the rainbow sprinkles.
- Divide the batter evenly between the two prepared cake pans.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center of the cake comes out clean.
- Let the cakes cool completely in the pans before removing them.
- Once the cakes have cooled, frost them with your favorite frosting and add additional sprinkles on top if desired.
- For a denser cake, use cake flour instead of all-purpose flour.
- Be sure to measure your flour properly by spooning it into the measuring cup and leveling it off with a knife.
- For a more intense vanilla flavor, you can use vanilla bean paste or scrape the seeds from a vanilla bean and add them to the batter.
- You can also add a layer of filling in between the two cake layers, such as a fruit jam or whipped cream.
Making funfetti cake from scratch is easy and delicious. With its colorful appearance and fluffy texture, this cake is sure to be a hit at any celebration. Follow this recipe and enjoy the taste of homemade funfetti cake anytime you want!